Buttons! Buttons! Everywhere!

Buttons! Buttons! Everywhere!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Place to Be

One thing I have learned during the past year is the importance of having a "place" to write. Before we moved into the spacious condo we have lived in since last July, we lived in a very small historic home in the center of town. The town we live in is Dutch, complete with windmills and tulips and canals.

In the little house my husband made me a space at the top of the stairs in a nook originally used for acloset. The walls were pine, the ceiling was slanted and very small. But there was a window that looked to the bustling sidewalk below and a desk with a wall in front of it I had plastered with photos and scriptures and  sayings that encouraged me to write.

Now I have a spacious loft, all in white with four huge bookcases and two desks that houses two computers and two leather chairs and overlooks a street where people pass every few minutes.

What difference does it make? None. Just carve a space out of somewhere where you make a committment to write whether it is in a journal, your bible or on your computer. Its about making the committment to read then write.

When I go to my writing place, my sweet husband knows I mean business and gives me the quiet time I need. So today, carve out the place you need to read, to write or to study.  Now get to it!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent advice. Nothing prepares your mind more, than a prepared environment.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!