Buttons! Buttons! Everywhere!

Buttons! Buttons! Everywhere!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Remember the Alamo!

The photo today is from San Antonio, Texas! Just got here for work. I always take the time to visit this national monument. To me, this symbolizes the free thinking state of Texas. It's a powerful reminder of the freedoms we are so blessed with, freedoms we should not take for granted. God given.

Well, last night I had the distinct pleasure of visiting with the reading group that read my full manuscript. I was invited to join them as they shared their thoughts about the manuscript. For any writer this is a humbling experience, as it's the reader who decides the value of a book.

In my opinion, they were right on target for what I saw needed to be done. They were professional, courteous and told me to throw out the title! Now my new working title is "You'll Never be Dead Enough".  The readers felt that this title more significantly represents the dark mood of the book. I learned I have to beef up some of the character descriptions to make the reader understand the characters value. For instance, in the book, the main character is Emily Evans. She has two siblings, Stephanie, an older sister and Darren, a brother, five years her junior. The readers wanted to know more about the relationship between the siblings. I've been so focused on Emily and her mother Maureen, that I didn't realize I'd left her siblings so far out.

The readers also wanted to know more about Emily's father, Denny Douay and Emily's husband, Aaron.

To all of my readers, THANK YOU! You have been great! Now when I make the Best seller list:)......

So, with just a few days to complete the rewrites and get the manuscript to my wonderful mentor, the postings will be VERY, short for the next few days! Hang in there with me, we are about to be done!

Have a good one!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you had a rich experience with the book club. Guess what? I got my mss back with marching orders for another revision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you Gray! I just knew this book would be the one! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginger - so glad you didn't feel like we'd beat you up too much! So excited to be allowed to be part of this process for you and can't wait to read the finished product!

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you all were just so honest nd wonderful! You could only help make this better...even though it's still dark:) Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!