Buttons! Buttons! Everywhere!

Buttons! Buttons! Everywhere!

Sunday, July 25, 2010

I Need More Time!

The semester for the final two terms of the MFA is up and running. I'll be reading a boatload of texts and have begun doing research for my educational paper. More editing as well on the book. Travel is up as well, but I work well under pressure!

With that said, as a writer I'm always trying to "find" time for writing. I get up at 4:30am and read my Bible, and have to be out the door by 5:45am for work. I have a 1 hr drive time each way to work (when I'm in town). I listen to a radio pastor on the way to work and usually an audiobook on the way home. As of last week, (I have my first full week in now), I am making time (1/2 hr) for exercise. I try to catch up on my blog, answer emails and look for markets to send work out to. I'm usually in bed by 10:30pm.

When I'm on the road, I can squeeze out time on the plane, but if you've noticed, I don't have time to cook, (Michael does it all), clean, (Michael and our once every other week cleaner does it all), do laundry, (Michael does it all), etc. He is so supportive of this time in my life, but I'll owe him BIG:)

Anybody out there got any tips on where and how I can fit in 30 more minutes of writing without dying of no sleep? What do you guys do? I could use some advice here.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, sweetie, but I couldn't keep up your schedule let alone right with it. I guess there's always crank or some other street drug. I love the picture at the top of the blog--I also like the rotating picture motif. What's that a picture of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger! I wish I could say I was doing something different that worked better but I get up at 0400, run/work out for an hour, drive 45 minutes to work, pretend like I'm making a difference here for 12 hours, drive 45 minutes home and then eat while I write. Having no time to cook (and no wonderful Michael to do it for me) I am the 'weird' girl who sits at Lotus Cafe and simultaneously drools and sleeps on my keyboard for a few hours at night trying to write something not completely incoherent. Were it not for routine urinalysis I might look into Gray's suggestion. For now, doesn't seem like it's going to let up. Ugh! It's all worth it, right?

    Hugs and valium!
    Alysha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alysha!
    You're schedule out does mine! But as writers we all understand the sacrifices we make to pursue this dream. Write on girlfriend, any way you can!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!