Buttons! Buttons! Everywhere!

Buttons! Buttons! Everywhere!

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Appearing Buttons!

It seems I am on to something. Just a day or two after requesting buttons from my readers, buttons and their related stories are appearing!  I am both touched and moved by the stories and hope in time, I will be able to share them with you!

With that said, I think it's time to share a little bit about the history of buttons.

They may have been in use as early as 3000 years ago during the Bronze Age and were often used more for decoration than for closures, being there were no button holes. Clothes were being held together with leather strips or belts and the buttons were worn like women's brooches.

Some say it was around 1200 B.C.  that a slit was invented, and with that the button became fashionable everywhere. Seems it was easier and less painful to use buttons once they figured out how to sew them on!

I am sure it was women who discovered the fact that buttons would not only hold the clothes they wore together, but that they could make a fashion statement as well! Today, spare buttons are attached to almost everything we buy.

Buttons have been made out of stone, bone, plastice, gold, silver and other precious stones, ivory, wood and even teeth! I have buttons that glitter and glow, as well as the normal dull black and white buttons. Whatever they are made of, I am certainly glad they are around. Otherwise, how would I have such a great story to tell?

Do you have a story you'd like to share about your favorite button? Come on, send me a memory!

 

1 comment:

  1. Hadn't really thought that much about buttons, but I'm sure glad they exist!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!