Buttons! Buttons! Everywhere!

Buttons! Buttons! Everywhere!

Friday, August 20, 2010

A Little Help From Your Friends

Sometimes a writer needs a little help from their friends. I spend a lot of time alone in an empty hotel room. You’d think with that much time I’d be able to get a lot of work done. Yet, with my job, I have to rise early, stand on my feet for hours and by the time I get back to my hotel room, I’m wiped. Right now in this semester, I’m reading 7 or 8 texts and responding to the way they show this writer how to structure her story. I won’t even get to more re-editing of the book until late September.

I’m itching to write, but a good writer must read as well. I just finished some great books, which I’ll share in a few days. As a little break, I’m looking for a market for a couple of short stories. Often before I send them out I send them to friends who have volunteered to critique them for me. It helps to get someone else’s view of my work.
If you find yourself in this dilemma, why not try out a few of these sites. They just might be the kind of help you need to get that first story out the door!

www.critiquecircle.com
This site is free but accepts donations. You can write any genre and both give and receive reader feedback.

www.alongstoryshort.com
This is a free e-zine. The authors provide personal feedback to any author who queries and offers suggestions on how to improve the work.

www.mywriterscircle.com
This is a forum that has a Q & A sections, jobs and a critique area for novels, non-fiction and scripts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!